Pages

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

IWSG and Writing Goals for 2015

It's the first Wednesday of the month again. Time for another IWSG post.

I had planned to do a goals post on January 1st. Yes, I didn't make it which is indicative of my writerly insecurities. 2014 wasn't a bad year. I published a couple good books (Last Request and Give Me Your Teeth); published a couple stories in anthologies; released an audio version of Last Request; surpassed my previous record for blog posts; and met my Goodreads reading goal. But, I didn't complete many stories. My pile of in-progress works continues to grow while my finished pile remains woefully small. Distractions? Lack of discipline? Am I like that rider in the painting stopping to look at the mermaids when he should be pressing forward on his journey? I don't know.

Siegfried and the Rhine Maidens
by Albert Pinkham Ryder.
There's not much to do but write every day. The plan this year is to publish five new titles and at least one of them has to be a novel. I also want to release another audio book and surpass my blog post count. I already have a novella with a publisher in the final stages of editing, so that leaves me with four books to finish. I feel better already.

And here's some more good news. I joined the fabulous group of specfic writers at Untethered Realms. I've been watching the group develop for the past year. If you're unfamiliar with their work, check out their boxed sets Fantasy Uprising: Untethered Realms Boxed Set and Twisted Earths (Elements of Untethered Realms Book 1). I'm overjoyed and surprised they let me join. (Too much nog in the holiday eggnog I suspect. Timing is everything.)

Did you set writing goals for 2015? Until next month, keep writing.

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations on joining Untethered Realms!
    Write out your goals and make them happen, Jeff.
    And there's always the A to Z Challenge for increasing your blog post count.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds like you have a lot on your plate this year. Welcome to Untethered Realms, we're happy to have you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "There's not much to do but write every day" - agreed! And congrats on joining Untethered Realms; they always seem a fine and active bunch. Best of luck for 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are doing well. I find the balance between writing new and polishing/publishing old hard to traverse... it is like you need to focus on one or the other, but both is elusive... Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff - great goals! You're braver than I am. I'm with Alex on the A-Z, but honestly its IWSG that makes me blog every month. :)

    Terri @ Scribbler’s Sojourn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on joining Untethered Realms! Such an awesome group of writers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. And you're complaining?! OMG, you had an amazing year last year and love that there's not much to do but write every day. Ha ha. I'm trying to get a book launch together and have no time to write and it's making me moody, putting it lightly. Thanks for commenting on my blog and hope to see you around next month!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had a great 2014! And I know you'll have just as great a year for 2015. Maybe even better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with your goals this year. Here's to 2015 being awesome for all of us! And there's always time to stop and smell, I mean, look at the mermaids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! 2014 was a great year for you!
    Congrats on joining Untethered Realms... I know some of those authors, they're a wonderful bunch!
    Thanks for visiting my blog yesterday!
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's wonderful to have you in UR, I'm so glad you joined. Here's to a great 2015 for all of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woot! Congrats on joining UR!

    Five new titles sounds like a great goal. My goal is finish my second novel and two novellas. Oh, and to not ignore my children. :)

    Happy writing! May your words flow and pages be productive.

    ReplyDelete