Pages

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Insecure Writer’s Support Group: Post #1

I joined the Insecure Writer’s Support Group today. Group members post the first Wednesday of every month. In the words of the group's leader and founder Alex J. Cavanaugh: "Time to release our fears to the world—or offer encouragement to those who are feeling neurotic." Are there any writers who are not insecure and neurotic?

I'm laboring away at a rewrite of a novella. The publisher asked for the rewrite. They were encouraging and gave me some vague directives so I'm confident. But, this is taking forever. I've been agonizing over this manuscript for a month. It's much better (and longer) than when I started as I've been fleshing out scenes to include more of the character's emotional reactions. I'm almost done. Of course, that's what I said two days ago and three days ago before that.

I received another rewrite request last week on a different short story. Encouraging feedback once again along with some less vague directives. So, once I'm done with the novella rewrite, it's on to the short story rewrite. The story is less than two thousand words so the rewrite shouldn't take so long. I hope.

Rewrites are good. It means the editor likes your story enough to put some more effort into it. At the same time, rewrites leave me anxious. What if I screw it up? Make it worse? What if I don't understand what the editor really wants?

How do you feel about rewrites?

Be sure to visit other IWSG members.

16 comments:

  1. Welcome, and yes, what you say Jeff about writers is absolutely true :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Carole. Glad to know I'm not alone.

      Delete
  2. Not that I've noticed, Jeff! Welcome to the family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the IWSG! I'd have to say that being a writer and being insecure pretty much go together.

    I've rewritten my first story several times as I've learned more about writing fiction. Don't like it, but the story is better because of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping, Ken. It is curious that insecure people go into something that results in so much rejection.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on the rewrite requests. There have been many times I'd wished the editor would have asked for rewrites. Sorry it's taking so long for you, but just do your best. That's all we can do, right?

    Good luck and enjoy the process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hear you. So often we get the form rejections, which leave you feeling cold and, well, rejected. I guess we have to focus on a rewrite as a cup that 3/4s full.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on the rewrite requests - you must be on to something! I know exactly what you mean about taking a while on rewrites. I've gone over some of my stories over the years it's driving me nuts - but I have to learn when enough is enough. Best of luck with it all and welcome to the group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, Thanks for stopping. I have a pile of old, abandoned stories that need a rewrite, too.

      Delete
  6. Welcome to the group! It's the best! My revision (which has become a total rewrite) of my current WIP is taking FOREVER - far longer than I expected. But I just have to keep plugging away. Good luck on yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I find editing work in general takes longer than expected. Editing is when I read every sentence multiple times and second guess everything I've written. Only thing to do is keep working. Every hour is one hour closer to being done. I hope.

      Delete
  7. Welcome to the IWSG! You'll find a great bunch of supportive people here. Rewrites can be discouraging at first, but I always find the story only improves with rewrites. Best of luck to you! And thank you for visiting my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping, Chrys. Looking forward to more IWSG posts in the coming months.

      Delete
  8. Great to see you're on IWSG, Jeff. I find rewrite requests are like grief: I go through definite stages. You know, denial, anger, acceptance etc. But, in the end, a better story always emerges. So, it's all worth it in the end.

    So, best of luck with yours. A rewrite request is a million times better than a rejection, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Simon. I think I go through the same stages. Finally finished the long rewrite and resubmitted this weekend.

      Delete