My goal is to add something to this blog at least once a week. I failed to come up with anything witty to say this week. I'm still working on a fairy tale based on "The Hand with the Knife," a tale collected by the Grimm brothers. The original is only three paragraphs long. I thought it was more the start of a story than a complete tale, so I'm adding a few more details and a new ending to my version.
Once a writer has completed a story and digested some feedback and revised or rewritten it a few times, the writer is faced with the totally unrelated problem of finding a publisher, preferably one that pays. Agents are not going to be impressed if all a writer's publications are from non-paying sources. I've been scouring the web to find short story publishers for fantasy and speculative fiction. I'm including a list of the most promising prospects below in the hope that others will find it useful. If anyone has other suggestions, please let me know. I'll update this post as I find new publications.
- Bards and Sages Quarterly: Speculative
- Black Gate: Epic fantasy fiction
- Fantasy Magazine: Fantasy
- Intergalactic Medicine Show: Science fiction and fantasy
- The Lorelei Signal: Fantasy
- Golden Visions Magazine: Science fiction and fantasy
- GUD: Any genre
- Mindflights: Science fiction and fantasy
- Reflection's Edge: Science fiction, fantasy, horror, erotica, adventure stories, westerns, magical realism, myths, fables, and faery tales
- Shimmer: Speculative and contemporary fantasy
- Silver Blade: Fantasy
- Sorcerous Signals: Fantasy
- Strange Horizons: Speculative
- third order magazine: Speculative